Sunday, December 16, 2007

Team Grades - Starting Pitchers - Part One

I'm a tad bit late in my season-ending player rankings but as long as the stats are still up, I can do it whenever.

Jose Contreras - #52
His 10-17 record is a statistical eyesore. To go along with that, he lost 7 games in a row from June 24th to August 8th. He did come back later on as he won a season high 2 straight starts. This is mostly contributed to our outfield troubles and our infield problems after we traded Iguchi. He worked out of the bullpen for a short stint then was back to the rotation, thank goodness. My grade: C+

Mark Buehrle - #56
After being smacked in the elbow by a line drive in his first start of the year, Mark rebounded amazingly well. He didn't miss his next scheduled start but instead he decided to no-hit the Rangers. On the last out of the ball game Paul Konerko said he was afraid Joe Crede would make a bad throw and it would be called a hit. The only base runner Buehrle allowed in the game was a walk to pesky Sammy Sosa. Ending the season with a 10-9 record, once again over the .500 mark, I can't wait to see how he does next year. My grade: B

Jon Garland - #20
Now of the Los Angeles Angels I won't spend much time on good 'ol Jon. He went 10-13 for the first losing season in his past 4 years. He had a terribly high ERA of 4.23 and struck out only 98 batters over the course of 32 starts.
My Grade: C- (Traitor)


Javy Vazquez - #33
In 32 starts Vazquez struck out 213 batters. His highest single game total from last year was 13 on September 17th against the Royals. This is a sign of even better things to come. I have shown my dislike towards Vazquez in my posts over the past few months and I believe I'm starting to lean in the direction of liking him. His 15-8 record was the best on the team which adds to his career record that now stands at 115-113. My Grade: A

John Danks - #50
Our equivalent of the Cardinals' Al Reyes, Danks was a measly 6-13 with an ERA of 5.50. I never liked our trade of McCarthy to the Rangers because I knew Brandon's place in the bullpen and he knew it, and Ozzie knew it, and Kenny knew it, but apparently that wasn't enough as we had to trade him for three minor league pitchers, one of them happening to be a mister John William Danks. Maybe I'll grow to like him as I have with Vazquez. But then again... maybe not... My Grade: D

In Starting Pitchers - Part Two, I'll evaluate the seasons of Lance Broadway, Gavin Floyd and Nick Masset.


No comments: